Friday, November 21, 2014

Are Video Games a Sport? (#sstr)


Are Video Games a Sport?(#3sstr)

Do you think of video games as a sport? When I think of a sport I think of basketball, baseball, soccer, or football. I like to think of it as video games have their own kind of category of sports, in a way. The definition of sport is “to amuse oneself with some pleasant pastime or recreation”. And if you love video games and it amuses you, then it may be considered a sport in your mind.

 I play video games every once in a while but I would rather be outside playing basketball with my friends, then sitting on my butt for like 5 hours a day moving my thumbs back and forth. I play video games like call of duty, skate, basketball, and football games when I have some free time, but definitely not as a sport or competitively. There are major league gaming competitions where people compete to win stuff like thousands of dollars. I feel like the essence of a sport is physical activity, like in basketball, driving into the paint, drawling fouls. I also think of sports as competitive, but in a way video games can be considered competitive based on who you ask, because MLG is a very competitive gaming network, there is even money involved, and I am talking like hundreds of thousands. People get very competitive when it comes to prizes. But it is definitely based off of who you ask. You could ask me and I would say no, because you are just sitting there moving your thumbs, doing nothing but looking at a TV or computer screen. Then you could go ask a professional MlG player, who plays for tons of money and he would say yes, because if you play for a company competitively in your mind it would be a sport.

So do you think video games could be a sport? I personally don’t think so. Comment and tell me what you think.

3 comments:

  1. I don't think it could be considered a sport because, like you said, you just sit there moving your thumbs around and I don't think that Call of Duty is very competitive because it is really easy and in order to be a sport I think it has to be competitive. Good blog by the way. (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think it would be a sport because you're not getting any physical exercise... except for your thumbs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I personally think they are a sport in a way.I see a sport as something that you need strategy for, you need to be quick and for games like football you need to have good hand-eye coordination in order to win, The same concept is used in Video games. Yes, you're not getting physically active, but there have been some advancements in technology That can allow you to do that, like the Virtix Omni when it comes out. What it does is it makes you get up and run in FPS games like Battlefield and CoD. I would consider video games an E-sport Just the fact that you do have to use your brain to overcome other players.

    ReplyDelete